His Other Abuses
- Before America expanded out to the Southwest, Spanish society, language and culture thrived on lands that are now within the political borders of the United States. There were still communities in this region of the country that spoke Spanish way past the time that the area was conquered—throwbacks from the days before American rule. Because of this vast history on American lands, Hispanics truly are American and their culture is not foreign.
- In the 1920s, America was starting to turn attention to “illegal immigration,” something that was actually quite normal in the Southwest. Mexicans would follow routine migratory patterns—like the birds, where they would fly up to America for agricultural jobs and then fly back down to their friends and families back in Mexico. Of course, the word “fly” isn’t really being used in a literal way—only in a metaphorical way.
- Many Hispanics in the Southwest come from families that have been here for generations. There are a lot of Mexicans, for example, who are third and fourth generation Americans, and many others who have roots that extend back farther.
- A pretty significant number of Hispanics are immigrants, but that doesn’t mean that they are illegal immigrants.
- Technically, anyone can be an illegal immigrant. You do not have to be Hispanic to be an illegal immigrant. An illegal immigrant can be from anywhere in the world. For all anyone knows, Sheriff Arpaio and his goons could have driven past Eastern European drivers who were illegal immigrants without bothering them, assuming that they were just white Americans.
What makes Sheriff Arpaio such a notorious character is the fact that there are so many different sins that he has done. He is pretty well-rounded when it comes to being evil.
He has neglected the needs of some of the people who live in his jails. The ones who have suffered the most are physically ill people and mentally ill people. These types of people were denied the proper treatments that their conditions required. Read more: Jim Larkin | Crunchbase and Village Voice Media | Wikipedia
Sheriff Arpaio made it his mission to make inmates needlessly suffer by serving food that had gone bad. It’s not funny, cute or just to serve people rotten food because a person can get sick or die from eating bad food.
The Year 2017
The year 2017 was a pivotal year for Sheriff Arpaio and the rest of the country. He was just about to get justice served to him when Trump pardoned him. It was a big controversy, because a lot of people believed that Sheriff Arpaio did not deserve to be pardoned.
Many people have staged protests against the pardoning of Sheriff Arpaio. It is nothing new for people to be staging protests against him. There is a large anti-Arpaio presence online and on social media.
Jim Larkin and Michael Lacey run websites that give news about the man who they believe to be the biggest bum in the world. The Phoenix New Times is one of them. Also, the website of their non-governmental organization, the Lacey and Larkin Frontera Fund, provides information for those who want to learn more about Sheriff Arpaio’s evilness.
Learn more about Jim Larkin and Michael Lacey: